Re: Mailman, hard links and the Openwall

On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, Ethan Benson wrote:

> On 28/11/99 Marek Habersack wrote:
>
> >[...] fail. It turns out that Mailman uses hard links in /tmp to files in the
> >/var/lib/mailman/lists/listname/* files and also to lock some other files.
> >The problem is that those files are owned by root.list with mode 664
> >[...]
>
> it makes hard links in /tmp?  this seems like bad design in general
> as many people have /var and / (and/or /tmp) on separate partitions
> in which case hard links won't work anyway, patch or not.

No, it doesn't make hard links in /tmp. It makes hard links within
/var/lib/mailman/lists, sometimes as a different user as the file was
originally created with (mail, www-data and list are the possibilities).
I haven't read the original problem so I don't know what is exactly the
case, but for example solar designers secure linux patch prevents
hardlinks like this, so it can't be used with mailman :/

--
Madarasz Gergely           gorgo@caesar.elte.hu         gorgo@linux.rulez.org
                    HuLUG: http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/