Re: The end of GIF format [was : Dangerous precedent being set - possible serious violation of the GPL ]

On Fri, Dec 03, 1999 at 07:33:33AM -0800, David Benson wrote:
> Whatever your take, there are web-designers using debian who
> need to produce GIFs for their jobs.
>
> Will you force those users to find another distro?
> Force them to compile their own gif tools?
> Since they can't tell their users to upgrade, they can be stuck.
> I think leaving them in non-free (maybe even printing warnings)
> is much kinder to such individuals.
>
> (I'm not one of them:  don't tell me to find another employer.)

We have UNIX here. There are pipes, perl and automatization.
When I told there is a NEED for one gifmaking package (a2gif),
I meant that every program should be able to pipe thru it
and make gifs if they are really necesarry.
I dont want to force anyone to use png nor jpeg.