Re: Good optimize idea! (Re: ramblings about old hardware, gzip, bz2, and pentium opts)

On Tue, Dec 07, 1999 at 11:17:18PM +0100, Goswin Brederlow wrote:

> gcc will ALWAYS produce code that runs on a i386, as I was
> told. Exceptions of cause are direct asm instructions in the code

    This is incorrect.  In theory, compiling with -m<arch> will always
produce code that runs on an i386, but compiling with -march=<arch>
will most definitely not.  You will get illegal instruction errors on
other systems.

    I got bit by this while I was toying around with pentiumbuilder,
and discovered that dpkg-buildpackage did *not* reset DEBIAN_BUILDARCH
as I thought it did (it sets DEB_BUILD_ARCH instead, I think).

Zed Pobre <zed@va.debian.org> | PGP key on servers, fingerprint on finger