Re: Package Pool Proposal

Michael Stone wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 08, 1999 at 06:15:46PM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> > Hum? If you have the ability to run a mirror of any sort then you have the
> > ability to run APT properly - just NFS mount the space you were going to
> > use for a mirror under /var/cache/apt/archives.

> Providing a public read-only NFS server is usually a bit different than
> providing a public read-write NFS server, even internally.

Indeed it is. Not everybody has the same access on all machines. But
apart from that, there's a few other issues - like problems with file
locking, unability to update more than one machine at a time, etc. (and
it DOES take some time to update even just a few packages on a 486 - if
you have a ballpark of them used as terminals, you'll have to spend more
time than it's worth - and don't come telling me that I shouldn't
upgrade them, they can run latest unstable just fine).

Filip

filipvr@xs4all.be              Helpdesk        Tel: +32/(0)9/265.02.05
http://www.xs4all.be        Webengineering     Fax: +32/(0)9/265.02.50