Re: freedomization task list [was: Re: Dangerous precedent being set - possible serious violation of the GPL]

On Fri, Dec 10, 1999 at 11:41:35AM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > > joe or jed are pretty good for simple yet reasonable editors.
> >
> > are they good performers on very small systems (e.g. my 386sx/20
> > with 8M?)
>
> but back to your question. i would expect that joe would be a decent
> performer on a 386, it's a very simple and light-weight editor. it's
> basically a clone of the old WordStar from CP/M and early MS-DOS days -
> which used to run well on 8088 machines with <=640K, and even on Z-80 or
> 8080 CPUs with 64K or less.
>
> jed's more of a heavy-weight, and may not perform so well on a 386.
> OTOH, jed's user interface is nicer...more "modern"...than joe's and is
> probably easier to learn and use.

joe runs perfectly acceptable on my 386 w/8MB RAM. I dont see any speed
difference to using it on my PII-266 main box.

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)

                Trees moving back and forth make the wind blow.