Re: Finding unused Packages

On Wed, Dec 15, 1999 at 07:10:31PM +0100, Inaky Perez Gonzalez wrote:
>         Inefficient? well, perhaps at markup time, but it is as easy
> as walking the dependency tree ... with an ascii dbase it could be
> slow; don't know an easy sollution for that.

When all I've got a hammer, everything looks like a nail... I've been
working on automatic memory management the last week and immediately
reacted based on  my prejudice against reference-counting (which is
totally justified when talking about internal memory management).  I take
my claim about inefficiency back, as I can't justify it in this context.

However, adding a new reference-count field to the status file requires
changes to apt and dpkg.  A garbage collector requires no support from
these, unless you integrate it into them...

>         Unreliable? ... I don't see exactly why (FYI, my knowledge on
> apt and dpkg internals is completely external), but I'd like to know
> which would be the reason.

Dependency loops.

>         Also take into account it'd been an instant idea, perhaps five
> seconds incubating it.

That's okay.  I do that all the time.  ;-)

                                  ""
                             (John Cage)