Re: /etc/profile should include sbin in PATH

On Sun, Dec 19, 1999 at 10:16:02PM +0100, Remco van de Meent wrote:
> Ben Gertzfield wrote:
> >     Remco>       ``Deciding what things go into "sbin" directories is
> >     Remco> simple: If a normal (not a system administrator) user will
> >     Remco> ever run it directly, then it should be placed in one of
> >     Remco> the "bin" directories. Ordinary users should not have to
> >     Remco> place any of the sbin directories in their path.''
> >
> > Then I think our problem is that we are violating this part of the FHS.
> > For example, the following utilities are regularly run by users:
> >
> > modutils: /sbin/lsmod
> > netstd: /usr/sbin/traceroute
> > lsof-2.2: /usr/sbin/lsof
>
> I certainly agree that there are numerous programs in *sbin that according
> to that definition should reside in *bin.

Just because a user will run them does not mean they are designed for
normal users. For instance most of these will be run _as_ a normal user,
but usually _by_ the admin.

I think you are confusing "system administrator" with "root". A system
admin can and will (if he is smart) do most system maintainence as
non-root.

`     bcollins@debian.org  -  collinbm@djj.state.va.us  -  bmc@visi.net    '