Re: Quake is GPL

On Sun, Dec 26, 1999 at 01:56:00PM +0100, Christian Kurz wrote:
> P.S.: I wonder what you would do if you are such a maintainer who could
> be with half an leg in jail.

I would *personally* make sure that I was in compliance with the
relevant laws. If I felt that that would take too much of my time, then
I would stop mirroring.

I would *not* ask others in different countries to do my work for me. It
would offer no protection whatsoever.
What would you say to the judge? "My fellow Debian maintainers assured
me that everything would be legal in my country, so I didn't think I
would have to check that"?

If you are an FTP admin, no one else but you is responsible for the
legality of the content of your servers. You can ask others to do the
checking for you, but it will not make you immune from legal troubles.

Yes, this sucks really hard. Now imagine that you lived in a country
that didn't have those stupid laws. Wouldn't you be glad of your
freedom?
Would you then voluntarily try to keep up and comply with the laws of
dozens of other countries with no benefit to you whatsoever?

--
The idea is that the first face shown to people is one they can readily
accept - a more traditional logo. The lunacy element is only revealed