Re: Timeline for potato

On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, Joel Klecker wrote:
>At 00:02 +0100 1999-12-30, Martin Schulze wrote:
>>Rainer Dorsch wrote:
>>> The timeline is great! But I think it should be continued. As experience
>>> shows, shortly after releasing potato (or even shortly after freezing
>>>potato),
>>> kernel 2.4 and XFree 4.0 will appear.
>>
>>Hopefully they appear *after* the release and not between freeze
>>and release again.
>
>Just because 2.4 comes out doesn't mean it's stable enough to put in a
>dist, 2.2.0 wasn't particularly stable, and there wasn't a really solid
>kernel until 2.2.5.

That's debatable.  However one thing that's not disputed is that 2.2.14 is
due out really soon (but not before Jan 2 I expect).  2.2.14 will just be
more of the same as 2.2.13, it apparently solves some reliability issues and
will hopefully fix the software RAID problems that make RAID-1 and RAID-5
unsuitable for ReiserFS.
I really hope that 2.2.14 gets included, and a new ppp package if required
(it seems that every second kernel requires a new pppd).

--
The ultimate result is that some innovations that would truly benefit
consumers never occur for the sole reason that they do not coincide with