Re: concensus on removing TeX and Emacs from standard

John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> writes:

> Bud Rogers writes:
> > If the Emacs and TeX packages are so intertwined with the basic
> > functionality of the Debian system that they cannot be removed, then
> > perhaps it is time for a fundamental reconsideration of how the Debian
> > system is put together.
>
> You misunderstand.  Emacs and Tex are 'standard', not 'required'.  That
> just means that they are selected for installation by default.  Debian
> works fine without them.

Hmm.  I seem to remember when I selected one of the emacs packages for
removal I got pretty a serious sounding warning about the package being
necessary for this or that reason.  Maybe I misunderstood.  Anyway I would
prefer that they be optional, but that's just my preference.

--
Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net>	http://www.sirinet.net/~budr/zamm.html