Updates, Removals and Still to do

(As usual: bcc'ed to -devel-announce; be careful where you send followups,
-release isn't a discussion list)

A few more packages have made it into the archive (but may be waiting
on the forthcoming mirror pulse), namely:

	emacs20-dl_20.7-3
	kernel-image-2.2.17-compact_2.2.17pre6-1
	kernel-image-2.2.17-i386_2.2.17pre6-1
	kernel-image-2.2.17-idepci_2.2.17pre6-1
	kernel-patch-2.2.17-ide_20000625-1
	kernel-patch-2.2.17-powerpc_20000625-2.2.17pre5-1
	kernel-source-2.2.17_2.2.17pre6-1
	openssh_1.2.3-6
	rpm2html_0.70p1-1.1
	sysvinit_2.78-4
	util-linux_2.10f-5.1
	w3-el_4.0pre.46-7
	wdm_1.19-4.2

As such, the following packages are scheduled for removal tomorrow due to
outstanding RC bugs:

	aptitude (bug 65800)
	cheops (bug 65644)
	snns-doc (bug 66082)
	nscd (binary pkg only) (bug 58367)
	raidtools (bug 66222)
	records (bug 66244)
	task-webserver-roxen (binary pkg only) (bug 64762)
	freeamp/powerpc (56472)

If any of these packages shouldn't be removed, either these bugs need
to be downgraded or fixed *really* soon now.

I suspect most of the following can be reasonably handled by a mention in
the release notes, or just ignoring them: (ie, the only reason they're not
already downgraded is that adding them to the relnotes seemed worthwhile)

	gdm doesn't start wm (66215)
	netscape and sessions aren't happy (65857)
	xboard needs a workaround (66086)
	xf86setup doesn't work on alpha (66216)
	xserver-ggi doesn't create /etc/X11/Xserver (66137)
	xserver-mach64 broken on non-1024x768 (65834)
	.X11-unix permissions (66225)

This leaves the following things that definitely need doing:

	* New boot-floppies (base will be finalised once the aforementioned
	  sysvinit and util-linux changes hit the mirrors; and otherwise
	  debian-boot seem to be on top of this)
	* Any additional updated kernel modules rebuilt to match 2.2.17 and
	  uploaded
	* Fixes for the various emacsen packages (already finished?)
	* Fixes for gpm
	* Security update for libpam-ldap
	* Ports of the various updated packages to the various other arches
	  (already well under way, as usual)

Current issues which don't seem to have obvious fixes and thus might
hold up the test cycle unduly are:

	* gpm bugs 65962 and 65967
	* non-free files in glibc2(i18ndata) and tetex
	* unclear copyright license on dvidvi (Adrian Bunk is contacting
	  the dvidvi author)

There are also a few remaining RC bugs that aren't dealt with above that
may cause trouble too.

Cheers,
aj (acting release manager)

                                      -- Dave Clark