Re: OpenArena DFSG-fixing

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 06:52:19PM +0100, Hans de Goede
wrote:
> While on this subject, you may want to take a look at
> autodownloader just for fun, download a livecd (and boot
> from it), do "yum install urbanterror" and then select
> urbanterror in the application menu (under games, duh), or
> just start the wrapper script from a terminal. This is our
> solution to what I guess you are doing with
> game-data-packager.

This looks interesting, I shall take a gander :-) It seems
to have a different focus to GDP: GDP is mostly about
dealing with commercial games where you have a CD-ROM or a
file (doom WAD file, Quake 3 CD-ROM, etc.)

> Note that this just downloads the files (and extracts
> them) to ~/.q3a/<path>/, which means no root rights are
> needed, if you have multiple users on the machine who all
> want these games it is very bandwidth and diskspace
> inefficient, but we (I'm) are counting on that being the
> exception.

We go the other way with GDP but have our own problems.

> The nice thing is it is all GUI driven and looks nice and
> polished and end user friendly, so it might be worth
> checking out (says the guy who has sort of written it).

There is an experimental game-data-packager branch with a
GUI, but it is not functionally useful.

--
Jon Dowland
sometime game-data-packager maintainer