Re: Moving some packages to the attic

Am Samstag, den 07.08.2010, 10:29 -0400 schrieb Paul Wise:
> On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 10:19 AM, Bruno Kleinert <fuddl@tauware.de> wrote:
> > Am Samstag, den 07.08.2010, 16:22 +0900 schrieb Ansgar Burchardt:
> >> bsdgames (not maintained by us, Git outdated)
> > If it's not our package, why did it end up in pkg-games? I'd suggest
> > removal.
>
> Perhaps we should invite the maintainer to join pkg-games hand help
> maintain this and other games.
As far as
http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=toddy@debian.org&comaint=yes
says he doesn't seem to maintain any other games stuff. So I'm not sure
if it makes sense to invite him if he's only interested in bsdgames. But
I won't stop anybody from doing so.

> >> clanlib2
> > Not sure about that. Maybe we could need it in the future for a game?
>
> Clanlib upstream resently posted about a new release, perhaps we need
> to ask them about games that use it. It would be a shame to lose that
> connection with an upstream.
I had a glance at the Clanlib web page, but they don't seem to maintain
a list with games using their library :(

> >> freeciv-tileset-hires (no work on this since 2005)
> >> ogreal
> >> slviewer
> >> slviewer-artwork
> >> slacehero
> >> xmris
> > Before removal we should see if these packages aren't worth to be
> > maintained by us and see if upstream is still active. If something is
> > dead upstream I'd suggest removal.
>
> I'd like us to also start taking over dead upstream projects. It
> doesn't take too much effort to integrate distro patches and keep
> games at an acceptable level of maintainence upstream, at least for
> relatively low complexity games. I've tried to do that for
> chromium-bsu and done reasonably well, but so far failed to do that
> for alex4, protozoa and others due to lack of time.
I think we should only dare to overtake dead projects that seam
finished, well polished and have good code quality, in the sense of
portability and only APIs that are known to be stable. Otherwise I would
stronlgy suggest not so waste time and concentrate on other stuff.