Re: Cannot upload package in sid to screenshots.debian.net ?

Le 13/05/2011 02:14, Paul Wise a écrit :
> On Thu, 2011-05-12 at 23:57 +0200, Christoph Haas wrote:
>
>> Yes I am able. :) The reason is that "gnome-video-arcade" is a contrib
>> package. As per a discussion quite a while ago on the debian-devel
>> mailing list I got recommended not to allow screenshots for contrib and
>> non-free packages due to the unclear legal situation. Screenshots seem
>> to be considered "derived work" or something (IANAL) and it's safe to
>> take them from DFSG-free packages only.
>
> In clarification, here are the mails from Debian's lawyers at SPI on
> this topic:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2008/08/msg00016.html

> This legal advice was sought for the games-thumbnails package we were
> shipping from before screenshots.d.n existed, due to this bug:
>
> http://bugs.debian.org/487218
>
> For the purposes of that package, it was decided that not including
> non-free screenshots was the only way to keep that package in main.

Thanks for your answer

I understand the rational for non-free packages but why block contrib ?
if the license of the screenshot is the same as the license of the
software package, then the screenshots of contrib should be treated DFSG
as well

In the case of gnome-video-arcade, it displays a list of non-free
software with their settings

but I think I can just wait for the new server from the ubuntu guys :)

Manu