Re: game screenshots with incompatibly licensed content

Martin Erik Werner, 2013-01-16 17:15+0100 (gmane.linux.debian.devel.legal):
> However, what struck me as a problem here are screenshots, videos, etc.
> showing the game and the art content in it. A screenshot showing both a
> CC-BY-SA-3.0 texture and a GPL texture would be a derivative work of
> both pieces of content, and in that case said screenshot would be
> undistributable, since the licenses are incompatible.

I am not sure. Is it a derivative of the content? I think the question
is the same as: is a picture of a monument a derivative of that
monument? You may want  to ask wikipedians about that.

Is it a derivative of the code? I doubt it, I see the code as being the
tool that allowed the shooter to generate the image, just as GIMP or a
paint brush would be.

--
 ,--.
: /` )   Tanguy Ortolo      <xmpp:tanguy@ortolo.eu>
| `-'    Debian Developer   <irc://irc.oftc.net/Tanguy>
 \_