Re: Once again: Trigger rally for next release

Removed Markus from CC, to save him from duplicated mails. He reads the
mailing list anyway.

Hi Onsemeliot,

Am Mittwoch, den 30.01.2019, 07:31 +0100 schrieb Onsemeliot:
> On Tue, 2019-01-29 at 18:15 +0100, Bruno Kleinert wrote:
> > this reads like a pointer to the part how the ZIP archive +
> > checksum
> > are to be generated:
>
> I did read the "Packaging for Linux" part of the BUILDING.txt file.
> Unfortunately I don't understand what to do with it. I suspect it is
> necessary to at least know roughly how packaging works.

My bad, most of that section isn't important to get a new release out.
The interesting bits of that section is:

[…]
The "dist" target is also supported, and it creates a zipped tarball of the
Trigger Rally directory and then calculates the archive's MD5 sum.
[…]

I.e., running

svn export https://svn.code.sf.net/p/trigger-rally/code/ trigger-rally-0.6.6 && \
make -C trigger-rally-0.6.6/src -f GNUmakefile dist

will create trigger-rally-0.6.6.tar.gz.

> > I wouldn't mind the game's data being shipped uncompressed.
>
> I was referring to the conversion of PNG files to JPG files. I know
> in
> principle how to do it with Imagemagic but I never tried to do it
> over
> a whole folder tree containing all kinds of files allowing different
> image dimensions.

I recommend to avoid lossy compression because
   1. disk space is cheap nowadays (A lousy argument, I know)
   2. lossless compression preserves the quality of the textures
   3. people can re-use game data from the release content straight away
      without quality loss
   4. and there's a (valid) warning in README.txt:

[…]
Best use .png for heightmaps, as .jpg can cause artefacts, which will change
the level geometry.
[…]

> > I can clarify: My maps were GPL-2 or newer.
>
> Thanks, Bruno. I have just updated the DATA_AUTHORS.txt in the 0.6.6
> development stage. Do you know anything about David Pagniers
> unlicensed
> maps "crossmountain" and "tea" too? I suspect he has moved elsewhere.

I regret, I don't know about David Pagniers.

So, regarding Debian's soft freeze approaching on 12.2., I recommend to
quickly clarify outstanding licensing questions or exclude content with
unknown license from the next release. Once that is done, and if
everything else is fine (I cannot judge that, as I didn't compile and
run a recent SVN snapshot), create the tarball and the packages for
Windows, and you should be done.

Cheers - Bruno