Re: Ogre > 1.12

Dear Flavien,

sorry for not replying to your previous mail. I started on a quest to
update ogre/package newer ogre releases a couple of years ago and for me
the process has been somewhat frustrating to say the least. Debian seems
to have a very different approach to incremental improvement than I have.

There are MRs for the latest release of 1.12 (1.12.13) here
https://salsa.debian.org/games-team/ogre/-/merge_requests/6

and a branch for 13.3 here
https://salsa.debian.org/games-team/ogre/-/tree/ogre-13.3?ref_type=heads

The version scheme changed from 1.12 to 13.0 and also now there is a abi
compatibility guarantee for minor releases. That's why the so-name was
shortened for 13.3. Part of this guarantee is possible by making lot's
of code private and having cleaner interfaces. This unfortunately breaks
gazebo, another reverse dependency (of ogre-1.9). So short term I would
suggest keeping:

1.9

newest 1.12

and adding 14.x

Pavel, the ogre himself, is very helpful by the way!

Best regards

Simon

ps: I'm a contributor of rviz and it's very much alive btw. The version
for ROS 2, rviz2, decided to vendor ogre 1.12.10 for some reason, so
they no longer depend on Debian packages but I'm not (yet) involved with
that.