Re: openrct2 & game-data-packager

Hi Alexandre,

On Wed, 2023-12-06 at 23:15 +0100, Alexandre Detiste wrote:
> I've added today this game to game-data-packager... as discussed back
> in 2015.

  This is a nifty tool! I spent some time playing with yesterday and
think it's pretty cool.

> A tiny Debian-specific patch to openrct2 to make it first
> checking for files into /usr/share/games/roller-coaster-tycoon2
> before asking the user where they are would be extra nice.

  I could certainly do this -- it shouldn't be too hard.

> Testing of GDP against both GOG.com & Steam would be a plus too.
> I need the details of the setup.....exe archive, it just can't work
> now.

  I have the following RCT/RCT2 game sources I can test with:

    * Original RCT2 CD (US version) without either expansion pack
    * GOG RCT2 Triple Thrill Pack exe v2.0.0.6
    * GOG RCT2 Triple Thrill Pack exe v2.01.043
    * Original RCT CD (US version)
    * Original RCT Loopy Landscapes/Corkscrew Follies CD (US version)
    * GOG RCT Deluxe exe v1.20.015
    * GOG RCT Deluxe exe v2.1.0.18

  Admittedly I haven't looked into the code too much, but a couple
quick questions:

  How are variations of possible game sources handled? For instance,
the current definition of files for RCT2 seems to be expecting a RCT2
CD with the expansion packs included, based on the file names and file
hash mismatches for data1.cab, data1.hdr, and data2.cab I see with my
CD. And as you mention there are also GOG versions that would need to
be extracted with `innoextract` instead of `unshield`.

  I see there's a stub definition for splitting out the WW/TT expansion
pack files into separate .debs; is there another game that does a
similar thing that could be used as an example?

  OpenRCT2 can also directly import original RCT scenarios/tracks if
people have the RCT installer(s) available. Since there's no game
engine for just RCT, what would be the best way to build a .deb(s) for
those game assets as well? Extending the RCT2 definition, or adding a
separate one for RCT?

Thanks,
Mathias