Re: NetPanzer Revival

On Wed, 2024-01-24 at 20:02 -0800, Devon Winrick wrote:

> Also, thanks again to the team that has kept NetPanzer in Debian
> alive while others were MIA. I am happy to learn about Debian's
> processes and help pickup some of the slack.

Probably most of the work is best done upstream, but here is the TODO:

https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/netpanzer

The first upstream item would be lintian, here is the full report:

https://udd.debian.org/lintian/?email1=&email2=&email3=&packages=netpanzer&ignpackages=&format=html&lt_error=on&lt_warning=on&lt_information=on&lt_pedantic=on&lt_experimental=on&lt_overridden=on&lt_masked=on&lintian_tag=#all

spelling-error-in-binary: typos are simple to fix and can be done
upstream, probably worth running codespell as well to find more typos.

maintainer-manual-page: the Debian manual page could be imported
upstream if it isn't already, or you could write a manual page in
another format, and add a system to build it from source.

patch-not-forwarded-upstream: the Debian patches could be imported
upstream if they aren't already.

source-is-missing: looks like the former upstream included some HTML
generated by DocBook but did not include the source .docbook files.
I see that you have addressed this upstream already by using Markdown.

https://wiki.debian.org/AutoGeneratedFiles
https://sources.debian.org/src/netpanzer/0.8.7%2Bds-4.1/docs/old/serverhowto.html/
https://github.com/netpanzer/netpanzer/blob/master/docs/SERVER-HOWTO.md

Next are the AppStream complaints:

https://appstream.debian.org/sid/main/issues/netpanzer.html

These should both be fixable upstream.

Next are importing the Debian patches or making them obsolete, as above
in the lintian section.

https://udd.debian.org/patches.cgi?src=netpanzer&version=0.8.7%2Bds-4.1

Next is the Debian and Ubuntu bugs, for the Debian ones you can click
the reply links to reply to messages in the threads. Probably most of
the Ubuntu ones are outdated and just need closing.

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?repeatmerged=no&src=netpanzer
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/netpanzer

In case you want to do similar things for other netpanzer
redistributors, the Repology site lists a number of them.

https://repology.org/project/netpanzer/packages

--
bye,
pabs