default editors

I suggest that Debian support a symbolic link "/usr/bin/editor", which
is the default editor for all programs. Which editor that points to is
set up by the install scripts in response to a prompt, and can be easily
modified by the system admin at any time.

On the topic of default editors, having a single default, one that
is good for _beginners_ is a good idea, but beyond that why does anyone
care about the default? I take for granted that any decent application
would honor the value of my $EDITOR variable.

For those beginners, one of the "arrow keys move around, delete key
deletes the character under the cursor, typing is inserted to the right
of the cursor" editors would be best. Is that what "pico" is?

Then again, _real_ beginners should probably log in to the window system
and get visual-paradigm tools with buttons and menus and an easy window
manager. Maybe we should just run WINE and give them MS/Windows :-) .

					Bruce