Re: sysvinit vs. new powerd...

Michael Alan Dorman writes ("sysvinit vs. new powerd..."):
>  2) remove powerd from sysvinit entirely, and make the new powerd
> conflict with older versions.  Easy.
>  3) make powerd replace sysvinit powerd.  Also not unreasonable, but
> upgrading sysvinit could do unexpected things.
>  4) use update-alternatives to allow selecting one.  I don't know
> exactly what this entails.

I have no knowledge about powerd as a specific application, but when
you've decided what the final arrangement of packages should be
*please* come and ask me *before* releasing any new packages with
funky things in the control files.

If you tell me what the state of the packages is now and what you want
it to be I'll tell you what to put in the control files.

If you don't ask me you'll probably tie yourself in knots.

Ian "writing a manual, honest" Jackson.