Re: Installing non-interactively/improving interactive postint-scripts

On Fri, Aug 01, 1997 at 11:57:55AM -0400, Jean Pierre LeJacq wrote:
> I've made a simple attempt at this with the wn package I maintain.  I
> took the kernel configuration scripts and modified them.  It can
> analyze the current state of the package, or provide a standard state.

I've had a quick look at wn over the weekend. While it solves some of the
problems I mentioned, it doesn't address two (IMHO very important)
problems: Questions that depend on answers to previous questions (but this
would be trivial to add, because it's a shell script) and being able to go
back to previous questions if you changed your mind.

The second point, however, makes it very hard to use a shell script for
this task, because there's nothing like goto in (ba)sh.

> I'm not sure if the kernel scripts are the best way to go.  There are
> other configuration projects going on in the Linux world such as
> Figurine and the dot generator.

I don't insist on the kernel-configuration scripts. In fact, after having
had a closer look at them, I don't think their implementation is very good.
menuconfig and xconfig parse the configuration file in completely different
ways and don't use a single line of common code, although they do about the
same job.

Martin
--
/* Martin Buck                      E-Mail: martin-2.buck@student.uni-ulm.de */