Re: Problem compiling module

Jeff McWilliams <jjmcwill@yahoo.com> writes:

> Help.  I've been trying to compile the lm_sensors source without much
> success.  lm_sensors was written as a linux module that talks to the
> voltage and temperature sensors on a motherboard and lets you query
> /proc/sensors to view this information.  I haven't found a .deb for
> this so I fetched the latest source yesterday and started trying toc
> compile it.  I'm running debian 2.0, Kernel 2.0.34 and the standard
> debian gcc, make, and libc6-dev packages.
>
> Make works okay, but...
>
> insmod ./lm_sensors.o
>
> ... tells me that the module was compiled for kernel 2.0.33 which
> doesn't match my running kernel.
>
> /usr/doc/libc6-dev/FAQ.Debian.gz suggests adding
> -I/usr/src/linux/include
>
> I added that to the CFLAGS of the Makefile.  It didn't help.  I
> noticed that /usr/src/linux/include/linux does not contain a version.h
> file.  Is that correct?

8< snip

You have to use -I/usr/src/linux/include *and* also configure and
build a kernel there to have version.h created plus a couple of other
symlinks.
Be warned that you should run the kernel you've built because of
potential binary incompatibilities in the kernel depending which
options you've compiled in. Kernel-package is your friend.

Phil.