Re: Deleting uncompressed Info/Doc files at upgrades

Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>         Heh. Seems that dealing with each of the 21 ``logical groups''
>  shall pretty much need a general solution.

Hmm, I strongly agree with you up to and including the quote above.

>         Modifying dpkg to deal with these logical groups is a
>  astoundingly bad idea.

Here, I might disagree.  I agree that it would be a bad idea to modify
dpkg to deal with each of these individually.  However, a
general-purpose metadata solution, which should merely require a hook
into dpkg, might well be a useful solution.

Before we do any such thing, though, I'd recommend that we investigate
the current status of the Gnome project's metadata plans.  *IF* (and
this is a big if) we can find a metadata solution that is simple and
elegant, solves our issues with documentation *and* the 21++ other
"logical groups", and is compatible with Gnome, I think we'd have
something to be downright proud of.

cheers
or   cwaters@systems.DHL.COM | above, but it is too long to fit into