Re: Proposing task-debian

On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 12:50:51PM -0500, Vince Mulhollon wrote:

> Oh, I don't know if it's an ugly hack.  Think about it, theres one program
> or system that handles conflicts and dependencies.  Why not rely on it?
> Making multiple programs to do the same function (installing and removing
> packages) is probably not the prettiest method.
>
> As far as "generally agreed best idea" goes, I put it in quotes for a
> reason.  As with all things Debian there is no way to make everyone happy.

A cleaner implementation would be to create a simple program or script that
would attempt to remove a given package and (recursively) all of its
dependencies, skipping any that are depended upon by packages outside of the
set of packages being manipulated.  So if you had installed
task-x-window-system-core, then later installed xterm (which depends on xlibs),
you could run this hypothetical program on task-x-window-system-core, and
remove all of the pieces of task-x-window-system-core that were not needed by
other packages.

This would make a good python-apt script.

--
 - mdz