Re: How to package programs that make use of a database?

On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Martin Schulze wrote:
> > They have a virtual machine per customer.

> Virtual host generally, but virtual machine would be better indeed.

An interesting idea.  Putting my webhosting hat on, I'd be curious to know if
companies have actually found a cost-effective way of creating and maintaining
virtual machines for customers -- every time we've done the math, we've
concluded the difference in cost between a virtual machine and a dedicated
machine would be so small that it wasn't worth offering both solutions.

So over here, the answer is that customers who want absolute security need to
pay for colocation.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer