Re: The unofficial buildd effort and its shutdown - my POV

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 02:39:39AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 07:53:21 +0200, Ingo Juergensmann <ij@2004.bluespice.org> said:
>
> > No, I can't apply as NM, because I will end up as Goswin did for
> > sure. James doesn't like me, so I never will have to succeed in NM
> > process anyway. This is my impression of how things go in Debian,
> > therefore I'll not even try it.  Give me a DAM that I'm trusting in
> > being not personally minded and I'll apply...
>
> 	So, you are accusing the DAM, someone who has worked long and
>  hard for Debian, of having personal bias, and engaging in gross
>  neglect of his duties as DAM on account of personal like and dislike
>  (or you are stating you have faws you have hidden from us that would
>  cause the NM process to reject you).

If the duties of the DAM were, in fact, actually laid out anywhere with any
sort of specifics, and if they were reasonable (to me) criteria, I would
probably make that accusation if Mr. Troup's behavior continued as it has
in the past WRT the DAM position.

The fact that there *aren't* any criteria for the job means that there is
no rational way to ever make such an accusaion; the DAM has nigh-infinite
leeway, quite sufficient to counter any such accusation at the present
time.

Thus, your implied statement (that such an accusation should be made,
and not making one implies a lack of substantiating evidence) expects
an irrational action that would immediately by shot down on that basis
instead.

Mind you, I accept it as entirely possible that, should the criteria be
specified, Mr. Troup would comply with them. Nor do I assign him any
particular blame for the lack of such criteria; I assign it, instead, to
the (apparently) deeply ingrained and habitual resistance to defining the
jobs of any delegates which has characterized many of the past discussions
on similar topics.
--
Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org>                                        ,''`.
Debian GNU/kNetBSD(i386) porter                                      : :' :