Re: Updating scanners and filters in Debian stable (3.1)

On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 02:53:58PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 12:36:48 +0200, Francesco Paolo Lovergine
> <frankie@debian.org> wrote:
> >Not always. In the past many backports have been built including perfectly
> >avoidable new dependencies. The volatile archive should have policy and
> >deb tools frozen. So no new debconf, no new ucf and so on.
>
> In many cases, backporting other tools and libs makes backporting much
> easier since a lot of packages use debhelper's latest features.

Right, indeed volatile should not do things easy for maintainers, but
do the right thing. Too easy backporting the whole dependency set to have
something up with minimal work.

> And
> debhelper has a history of using perl features that are not present in
> stable's perl. And no, I won't do a perl backport for new debhelper.

Yep, that's a good reason to not backporting infinity and behind.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine