Re: Proposition: 'NMU' upload of wxwidgets 2.8

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008, Richard Hartmann wrote:

On Feb 3, 2008 4:13 AM, Kevin Rosenberg <kevin@rosenberg.net> wrote:

I see an "other option" and it is straightforward. Do like what was
done in lenny with wxwidget2.4 and my package ctsim which requires
wxwidgets 2.4. They were removed from Debian testing and it's not a
problem. Simply download, compile, and install the library and
application yourself and don't rely on Debian for your every need.

While that is trivial for one, two or five packages to do, this approach
will, at some point, lead to exactly the mess a packaged distribution
with dependency awareness is meant to avoid.

I do not know why you think your approach is better, safer or more user
friendly than simply typing

 apt-get install ctsim

and having both ctsim and a 2.4 version of wxwidgets installed.

I seem to have missed the mail from Kevin but I might wholeheartly
add that this "other option" is something else than Debian.  We
provide a system for our users and if we force our users to build
the software we normally provide themselves we just failed.  So
I would regard the proposal not as a valid option.

Kind regards

          Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de