Re: actively notifying users of removed packages

Joachim Breitner wrote:

> A solution that’s possible without big changes would be a package
> "removal-notifier" which contains a manual list of removed packages
> (which needs to be maintained by someone of course) and can tell the
> user about packages he has installed but that are on that list.
>
> Not very elegant, but it would work and probably quite easy to
> implement.

I wrote a similar script a few days ago and blogged about it[1].
Besides the comments I received I still use it because of several reasons
such as: I don't use aptitude, I have some packages which I'd like to be
ignored, I don't like aptitude's output, and I don't have apt-show-versions
installed :).

[1]http://my.opera.com/atomo64/blog/2008/03/09/where-to-put-such-a-script

> Just a quick idea,
> Joachim