Re: libqt3-mt-dev: Depends: libjpeg62-dev but it is not going to be installed

Bill Allombert wrote:

>> Does it make sense that I report this issue to the above packages
>> (libqt3-mt-dev and libtiff4-dev) ? They should Build-Dep on the
>> virtual package libjpeg-dev right ?

How can a binary package build-depend on something? Their source obviously
depends on libjpeg-dev, otherwise the produced -dev package would not depend on
libjpeg-dev, too.

> The issue is not that libqt3-mt-dev and libtiff4-dev are Build-Depending
> on libjpeg-dev, but that they are _Depending_ on it. I did not anticipate
> that.

That is the right behaviour in a lot of cases. On the other side you should
consider to drop the number from your -dev packages. If they provide the same
api, then different numbers in the package don't make sense at all. If the api
breaks bad enough to introduce a new number, then providing libjpeg-dev doesn't
make sense. Something is broken in your way of packaging this library.

 GPG Fingerprints: 06C8 C9A2 EAAD E37E 5B2C BE93 067A AD04 C93B FF79
                   ECA1 E3F2 8E11 2432 D485 DD95 EB36 171A 6FF9 435F