Re: RFC: Making mail-transport-agent Priority: optional

On 2011-10-15, Josh Triplett <josh@joshtriplett.org> wrote:
> MTAs would need to advance quite a bit to get anywhere near as usable as
> a MUA that speaks SMTP, not least of which in error reporting.  (Most of
> the people I know who run local MTAs have had at least one "all my mail
> got stuck in a queue for one or more weeks" story.)

Erhm, did you ever encounter a 5xx SMTP error message with, say, Icedove?

You don't want to be in that situation, really.  You want the MTA to accept
everything from the client and sending him a bounce to his mailbox because the
applications don't cope with it in a sane way neither.

(For the latter a little GUI tool would do.  Something like [0], which only
supports Exim, though.)

Kind regards
Philipp Kern

[0] http://opensource.fsmi.uni-karlsruhe.de/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=users/pkern/mail-queue-watch.git;a=summary