Re: RFC: Making mail-transport-agent Priority: optional

On Sat, 2011-10-15 at 14:55 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Let me ask the question otherwise: what kind of information do you think
> > is important enough to show to all logged users immediately?
>
> If the system runs out of memory and starts up the OOM killer, it would be
> nice to find some way to give the user a dialog to let them know that's
> happening so that they could, for example, close a large application
> rather than letting the semi-random OOM killer decide to take out the X
> server or something.  (It may have gotten better.)
>
> > Failing hardware? Depending on the setup you might want to warn a system
> > administrator rather than users, but that’s indeed a case to consider.
>
> That's the main one that I'd worry about.  Also overheating warnings, for
> which even the home user can do something immediately.

The user generally can't even read the warning in time to make a
decision; the system must handle OOM or over-temperature quickly.

However, the user should be notified about that decision, if possible.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Experience is directly proportional to the value of equipment destroyed.