Re: /tmp as tmpfs and consequence for imaging software

Le dimanche 13 novembre 2011 à 15:39 +0100, Salvo Tomaselli a écrit :
> > $HOME is not really nice but it could work. I have a tmp dir under my
> > home directry and some script to clean up at every log on.
>
> $HOME seems like a very bad idea to me. At least if used by default...

On the contrary, it is a good default.

> Many universities (and i guess other places too) keep the homes on a file
> server and the rest locally.

It is a bad idea to do that on workstations, because network homes will
completely lock your computer on every network outage.

Those with specific, fully networked setups, like HPC clusters of which
case was mentioned, can specify another place if the application allows
it. This is why it is a good idea to have $HOME as default while making
this easily configurable - preferably both system-wide and per-user.

--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :