Re: pulseaudio related problems....

On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 10:17:52AM +0100, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> Quoting John Paul Adrian Glaubitz (glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de):
> > On 02/15/2014 09:22 AM, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> > > So, before doing so: will that be helpful?
> >
> > I think most people simply don't configure PulseAudio correctly. They
> > have the assumption that sound cards are still simple devices with
> > one input jack and one output jack and any application using it just
> > has to find the sound card and output its audio signal.
>
> I'm one of these people. I indeed don't remember installing pulseaudio
> voluntarily. It probably came out as a Recommends from something else

Same here, I didn't ask for it to be installed, and I have
APT::Install-Recommends "false";

> (my system runs unstable, with KDE as DE and hasn't been reinstalled
> since.....well, maybe woody? :-)))

I'm not running a DE, just FVWM, so don't really see why pulseaudio was
installed on a system if it was a DE dependency.

> > So, in order to be able to properly configure PulseAudio, install
> > "pavucontrol"

# apt-get install pavucontrol
[...]
0 upgraded, 17 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 7,500 kB of archives.
After this operation, 38.0 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n

Wow! All this to configure a piece of software I didn't ask for, when my
set up was working perfectly before it was installed.

Please, let's try and use a bit of common sense here.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X