Re: Danke für das beste OS der Welt, yup, and some grub/boot script suggestions

Me2 :-)

I have some suggestions:
grub2 , I don't like its/its current integration, and the autogenerated files are very ugly - I used to use lilo ... sometimes grub fails with raid(even when debian says it has installed fully), auto updating grub after upgrading the system can fail sometimes (killed my system many times - failed to boot with lvm afterwards) boot scripts ? - some are pretty some used to be ugly , and using various daemons - bash could be so pretty/manageable(debian is GNU after all..), sh could be so portable(but a bit ugly), sysv, well...

wish there was an option to not auto run grub after running debian upgrades... damn I'm tired of that
especially annoying if you compile kernels yourself
you could set kernels on hold if you got the time/patience for that on every new system...

an /etc file would be pretty for this (an apt.conf)... or never enforcing grub run unless 100% necessary even if grub is run it should double or tripple check it has been run correctly, it has broken on raid6 before for me(grub2) and lvm2(grub2) ,.... failed to boot afterwards (both in official installer and after system upgrade)

some suggestions from old debian user since around 2000 :)

grub2 is quite confusing in the start, but gets easier with time.... lilo was so easy
/etc files for your bootloader, comeon? .. no need for that..

/boot is all I need..

ram disks are quite confusing and hard to build, it should be much easier to make your own ramdisks.. , you never know if you got the right modules compiled in atm. - unless you double check or unless you assume it assumed right for you :-) - it rarely does on lvm/raid systems IME

debian should be easier to use with your own custom kernels(kernel.org), instead of compiling them the debian way(dpkg-mkpg?), you should be free to make them on your own in /usr/src/linux, without apt messing it all up later on!

I miss an apt that doesn't break randomly, seems better in the newest stable release, but always manage to break my apt so much it becomes unrecoverable
dependency requirement infinite loop

and the boot routine has changed lately, now I cant custom symlink my stuff in /etc/rc2.d ... used to do that all the time
now it does nothing it seems

the init scripts often looked so ugly (yes) that I refused to look at them, not all of them, but it looked like different maintainers code? - very different code in each
could be much prettier, but seems you are working on it :)
my init scripts looking nice and not autorunning grub on upgrades(or option for that) is the only thing I miss in debian

and no fuzz in debian base installs (hopefully no daemons etc.)

thanks from Denmark :)
----- Original Message ----- From: "Manuel Studer" <osxi86@gmail.com>