Re: systemd, again (Re: Cinnamon environment now available in testing)

Zack Weinberg <zackw@panix.com> wrote:
> Matthias Urlichs wrote:

>> I also expect the Jessie upgrade to switch to systemd. Because,
>> frankly and strictly IMHO, doing anything else makes no sense
>> whatsoever.

> This is exactly the thing I don't agree with.

> I think _new installs_ of Jessie should use systemd as init (by
> default, anyway), but _upgrades_ from Wheezy or prior should continue
> to use whatever it is they were using before the upgrade, until the
> administrator takes an additional positive action to convert to
> something else.  And I also think that "additional positive action"
[...]

Hello,

I think that is terrible idea, because it makes us release a system
that is lot less tested than it should be. If only fresh installs were
using our default init system this part would only get very limited
testing pre-freeze. The number of systems running testing or even
unstable is going to be a lot higher than the number of people doing
fresh installs from a d-i alpha or beta version.

cu Andreas
so grateful to you.'