Re: Possible abuse of dpkg-deb -z9 for xz compressed binary packages

On 2014-09-25 22:23:19 [+0800], Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 09/25/2014 06:02 PM, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> As wrote by others earlier, that's the amount of memory needed for
> compression. 65 MB of RAM is needed for decompression. That's nothing!!!

just imagine you have one of the recent smaller boxes say beagle board
which have 256MiB of total memory. The required 65MiB is a little more
than a forth of it.
If you argue that this kind of hardware never runs "this" kind of
software so -z9 is sane then the question is when someone hits this
problem and cares to report or works around it.
The thing is whether the bytes we saved here with -z9 vs -6(e) is worth
the problem we might run into.

> Thomas Goirand (zigo)

Sebastian