Re: Changing the ACL policy for alioth projects (Was: Unable to push debian-jr changes)

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 08:30:34 +0200
Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> since I have cared for ACLs set on all projects I have admin
> permissions I always (obviously wrongly - see[1]) assume that people
> do so as well in their projects.  I experienced the same issue
> yesterday in pkg-openstack: The fact that there is a way to grant
> commit permissions to any DD to VCSs on alioth is widely unknown even
> if it is mentioned in the Alioth FAQ[2].
>
> I hereby like to propose that the default on Alioth will be that ACLs
> are set to grant write permissions for DDs *by default* and project

Isn't that exactly why we have collab-maint? If a repository is not
part of collab-maint, that is because only the relevant team should
have write permissions on that repo.

> admins need to ask admins to revert this if they have good reasons to
> prevent any DD from writing to their VCS.
>
> Any opinions?

I don't want have write permissions on every project on Alioth and I
don't see that others need write permissions to repos not in
collab-maint. Submit a bug and a patch, just like everyone else.

--

Neil Williams