Re: Linux kernels v3.18.x and v4.2.x in sid

On Mon, 2015-10-26 at 14:55 +0100, Dmitry Katsubo wrote:
> On 2015-10-25 07:11, Adam Borowski wrote:
> > >
> > > All Debian stable releases are intended to be used with the latest
> > > kernel from the same suite. For Debian 8 that's the 3.16.y series, which
> > > has long term support from Canonical, and receives security and
> > > stability bug fixes in the Debian stable and security archives.
>
> Hm, kernel.org says that 3.18 is the long-term support kernel.

I'm afraid that LTS from kernel.org != stable support from Debian.

Debian typically picks a single kernel version for a stable release and
supports it for the lifetime of that release. Of course the LTS support
from kernel.org for that particular version is valuable in achieving
that. For Jessie the chosen release is 3.16 (LTS in this case is by
Canonical not kernel.org)

For the testing and unstable releases the Debian kernel team typically
tracks the regular mainline kernel releases (perhaps one or two behind
depending on $factors) with a view to arriving at a suitable LTS kernel
at some appropriate point before the freeze for the next Debian
release.

Experimental is usually tracking upstream rcs more closely.

This is why testing+unstable currently have moved on to 4.2 and
experimental has a 4.3 rc in it and 3.18 is no longer current in any
suite.

Ian.