Re: support for merged /usr in Debian

On 01/05/2016 01:34 AM, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jan 2016 22:21:06 +0100, Iustin Pop <iustin@debian.org>
> wrote:
>>>
>>> As friendly as always.
>>
>> Friendly? Maybe not. But correct? Yes.
>
> Being right and unfriendly drives friends and users away. This
> attitude is doing harm to Debian.

Marco started this thread because he wanted to discuss a specific
proposal - merging /bin, /lib and /sbin into /usr. He presupposed that
people already knew that mounting /usr from / is broken. That
assumption was apparently wrong, because the entire thread derailed
into a discussion about that. Now you could certainly argue that the
arguments that as to why mounting /usr from / being broken have not
been made in enough detail so that not everybody was on the same page
when the discussion started - and that people proposing things should
take that into consideration.

But _after_ this thread, where lots of people have patiently tried to
explain the issues again and again, and even tried to find ways of
constructively coming to a compromise - don't you think that repeating
the same talking points again in this very same thread instead of
actually responding to the issues presented, don't you think that
that is far more harmful to Debian than a single comment borne out
of frustration? Because the lack of actual responses to arguments and
the apparent lack of interest in a constructive dialog gives the
impression (whether it's true or not is irrelevant here) that some
people participating in these discussions aren't honest actors, and
that loss of trust is to me far more harmful to any community than
somebody venting a bit of frustration.

Regards,
Christian