Re: Update Debian policy for Multi-Arch

Simon McVittie <smcv@debian.org> (2016-05-03):
> On Tue, 03 May 2016 at 11:23:40 +0200, Francois Gouget wrote:
> > A large number of packages, particularly development packages, are not
> > multi-arch aware.
> >    3.10 Multi-arch support
> >
> >    Packages must be multi-arch aware and architecture-specific
> >    development packages must be tagged as Multi-Arch: same.
>
> See <https://wiki.debian.org/PolicyChangesProcess> if you want to push
> this forward.
>
> However, I suspect the Policy editors will object that Policy normally
> documents what is already broadly true, not what someone wants to be true
> (even if the desired state is widely agreed to be what the project wants).
>
> A mass-bug-filing or mass-patch-attaching to make libraries and development
> packages Multi-arch: same would be more in line with how things like this
> usually go.
>
> Note that for the subset of development packages that contain
> architecture-specific binaries in $PATH (most commonly "foo-config"), it is
> not trivial to switch to Multi-arch: same without breaking existing
> reverse-dependencies.

Well, sure. But Policy could certainly start containing documentation
about multi-arch being a possibility, and how it should be implemented
in a given (set of) package(s). A few years back, or right now. :)

Making it a should or must (not even sure it makes sense to have that
mandatory) would be another long-reaching step.

KiBi.