Re: Debian i386 architecture now requires a 686-class processor

Hi!

On Wed, 2016-05-18 at 16:57:48 +0000, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> On 2016-05-18, Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org> wrote:
> > Why aren't those bugs RC?

That's indeed a good question! It would probably be best if a neutral
party would do that. :)

> Either we give both users on old hardware a bad experience or all the
> users on new hardware a bad experience.

I don't follow, as I mentioned on the bug report, the patches I
proposed use the JIT if the CPU supports SSE2, otherwise they fallback
to use the interpreter, so no bad experience for anyone (because I
consider silent failure to run at all, way worse than possibly running
but slowly). And I'd probably characterize i386 as being there precisely
to support old hardware by definition.

Regards,
Guillem