Git Service for Debian (was Re: Next steps for gitlab.debian)

On വ്യാഴം 28 ജൂലൈ 2016 12:10 വൈകു, Pirate Praveen wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> At this point, I'm dropping work on gitlab for debian and moving to less
> controversial alternative pagure.

When did we (i.e Debian) finalize on using Pagure? I think, we should first fix
a solution and then start working on that. Or, we would be going the same way
as of GitLab.

I have seen suggestions like Gogs, Kallthea, Gitolite and even someone agreeing
on GitHub as "inevitable compromise". Why pagure, when all these arguments have
been presented? When did we have a consensus on Pagure? Or, is pagure packaging
another packaging project, just to get Pagure on Debian and not intended to use
Pagure for Debian activities (which we will call a happy co-incidence)?

Dropping a project - GitLab Packaging - just because there are disagreements is
not the way forward. AFAIK, there is no consensus about which service to use.
Let's first decide on that and then move forward. (There is always a risk of a
better solution coming up midway, but that can be handled by doing proper
homework before finalizing on a service).

PS : I have nothing against Pagure or any FS project presented. I would just
have a consensus before starting work on something else.

Balasankar C
[Debian Ruby Team member, focusing on GitLab and Diaspora packaging]