Re: Status of kbd console-data and console-setup

On 31/07/2016 15:22, Cesare Leonardi wrote:

> Hello.
> The freeze date is about three months away and i'd like to know if
> there are any plans about these packages before then.
>
> The main problem is that currently systemd comes with a partially
> broken localectl, well explained here:
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2015/07/msg00110.html
> And in the resulting bug report: #790955
>
> If i understand correctly, the core problem is that kbd doesn't come
> with keymaps but mandate these to console-setup or console-data. But
> both carry them in a path unsuitable for localectl.
>
> Console-data package was last updated in 2014, was reported obsolete
> for a long time and user reporting bug to it are sollecited to migrate
> to console-setup. For example see the preistoric bug #626680 (still
> valid). And upstream looks definitely dead.
> Why this broken package is still available?

console-data dates back to being a "common data" package when we had kbd
and console-tools, supplying datasets needed for the installer and
keyboards/fonts not available in kbd.

With console-tools dead (and removed) and kbd re-active, I am happy to
see its remaining data merged back into kbd, console-setup.

> Nowadays localectl from systemd coupled with kbd are able to cover the
> main job of console-setup, isn't it? I mean setting up console's and
> X11's keyboard.
> So i wonder if today isn't better and simpler to finally drop
> console-data, deliver a kbd package more closer to upstream (with all
> its keymaps) and possibly adapt console-setup to use the keymaps
> provided by it.
>
> Moreover, i note that kbd upstream deliver a vlock binary which Debian
> doesn't. Instead Debian provide a separate and optional "vlock"
> package, last updated on 2014, but apparently from a different source.
> So i wonder if wouldn't be useful to deliver also the upstream vlock
> binary with kbd.
>
> Hope to help.
>
> Cesare.

Regards
Alastair McKinstry , console-data maintainer

--
Alastair McKinstry, <alastair@sceal.ie>, <mckinstry@debian.org>, https://diaspora.sceal.ie/u/amckinstry
Misentropy: doubting that the Universe is becoming more disordered.