Re: Status of kbd console-data and console-setup

On 12/08/2016 19:50, Samuel Thibault wrote:
Felipe Sateler, on Fri 12 Aug 2016 17:44:20 +0000, wrote:
localed by itself does little more than updating /etc/default/keyboard et
al[1] (it can set XKBMODEL, XKBVARIANT, XKBLAYOUT and XKBOPTIONS in that
file). It then tries to invoke systemd-vconsole, which is the service
that actually tries to setup the console, but it is not enabled in debian.

I mean setting up console's and X11's keyboard.

Does systemd now sets up X11 keyboard too?!

Yes. But in debian it is patched to only touch /etc/default/keyboard.

Ok, then it could simply get the list of available maps from xkb-data,
since that's the source for console-setup too.

Systemd-localed already uses xkb-data for the X11 keymaps and, as far i know, systemd's /etc/vconsole.conf is substantially the equivalent of Debian's /etc/default/keyboard. Furthermore upstream's systemd-vconsole-setup service can also set keymaps and fonts on early boot providing some handy kernel command line arguments, like "vconsole.keymap".

The problem is that currently localectl can get/set x11-keymaps but cannot get/set text-console keymaps because it cannot find. And always returns errors.

I wrote here, before filing bugs, to know if there were some plans about console keymaps, because solving it potentially concern more packages: systemd, keyb, console-setup and perhaps others.
I think that in the next days i'll try to revive this:

Regarding the vlock part of my initial message, in the meantime i've filed these bugs:

Cesare.