Re: "Ask HN: What do you want to see in Ubuntu 17.10?"

On Thu, Apr 06, 2017 at 04:07:54PM -0700, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> Maybe I'm just exceedingly unlucky, but I have yet to find a laptop
> where all of the following works:
>
> - Suspend
> - Hibernate
> - Airplane-mode Hotkey (especially hard apparently)
> - Volume Hotkeys
> - Brightness Hotkeys
> - Suspend/hibernate hotkeys
> - Hot-plug of external monitor

I have been using IBM/Lenovo T Series for > 15 Years and never had major
issues. Given that with APM nobody expected suspend/resume to work,
optimus grafic is a PITA and a waste of money. I have a T420 currently
where everything works, we have tons of T460 at work and dont have any issues.

There is stuff which does not work - Hot Plug Monitor for example
is an issue. With digital ports e.g. HDMI/DVI/DP this typically
works out of the box - The new display gets detected - The point
is that for me the only desktop which remembered the Display positions
was gnome2 - Its broken since then. So when i dock at work i have
a shell script which uses xrandr to shuffle displays around.

Hotkeys for Suspend/Resume get more or less redundant as the typical
Desktop environment login/logout procedures contain all the
functionality.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                 f@zz.de