Re: Moving away from (unsupportable) FusionForge on Alioth?

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 10:19:24PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> In short:  There is no doubt that Git is the better VCS but spending
> developer time simply to switch lots of packages from an old VCS to a
> modern one has zero effect on users desktops and has no high priority.

I wonder...
The problem here is about fusionforge only, in fact.
If we were to move git (i.e. the vast majority of its usage) to another
place, and took down fusionforge (i.e. no more guest user management), I
do not think there is a reason to shut down the rest.
SVN could stay there, with viewvc and everything, and let packages and
project migrate whenever they need something not provided by old-alioth
(f.e. direct contribution from a non-DD that won't be possible without
fusionforge running to create its user and dealing with groups).

@tille: please have a look at pkg-haskell and their DHG_packages
repository.  I've never interacted with it, and I find it highly unusual
and non-standard that I doubt the usual tooling can deal with it, but it
might of ispiration about how to deal with R packages maybe?

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

more about me:  https://mapreri.org                             : :'  :