Re: MBF for deprecating Python2 usage

On 08/05/2017 07:34 AM, Josh Triplett wrote:
> Scott Kitterman wrote:
>> Reintroducing /usr/bin/python as a python3 version risks their systems
>> for no benefit (since all python3 stuff points to /usr/bin/python3 and
>> works fine).  Just let it go and don't bring it back.
>
> Agreed completely.  /usr/bin/python -> python3 in Arch is an endless
> fount of pain; let's not duplicate that.  Once we've migrated everything
> to /usr/bin/python3, there's no advantage whatsoever to reintroducing
> /usr/bin/python.

Yes, definitely. Note that Python upstream explicitly recommends against
using /usr/bin/python for Python3:

https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0394/

This PEP was created in response to the breakage caused by Arch
switching /usr/bin/python to python3.

Even after we've removed Python2 at some point, until upstream changes
its mind about /usr/bin/python, I'd rather not ship it at all than have
this cause large amounts of breakage. Keep in mind that not only Debian
packages use Python, but also a ton of third-party scripts. And a simple
"/usr/bin/python not found"  is much clearer to users than some weird
syntax error due to the change in Python version.

Regards,
Christian