Re: New lintian warning: vcs-deprecated-in-debian-infrastructure

On Thu, 2018-03-22 at 09:58 +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> I admit I do not agree with this and it was discussed here before.  Can
> we please agree that anonscm.debian.org remains a valid URL and stop
> starting another round of package uploads for the sake of changing Vcs
> fields.

I'm repeating myself, but could we please find another way to store
this information than in the source package? I'd like to see all of
the following stored somewhere else than the source package:

* Maintainer, Uploaders
* Vcs-*
* Homepage
* debian/watch

Possibly also Section and Priority.

All of the above can change and it's silly to have to make a source
upload to change them. They also easily get out of date and so are
likely out of date for a stable release.

I envision a service, metadata.debian.org, with a suitable
authenticated API to allow Debian package maintainers to update the
information, and having tracker.debian.org, dak, and other parties
fetch the data from metadata service, for inclusion in, say, Packages
files.

I think this would be a better thing to spend time on than talking
again about keeping anonscm around.